Tuesday 28 August 2012

Fly Eagles Fly - Season Preview Pt 1

As a new convert to the Philadelphia Eagles, I feel like a bit of a gatecrasher.  I've done my research and read up on the history of the franchise, I've got a shiny new t shirt, I'm a British Eagle and I've used Gamepass to watch plenty of games from the last three seasons.

However, what I haven't got, are the emotional scars from watching a team that has never won a Superbowl. Even the last few years have provided plenty of head in hands moments - Andy Reid's timekeeping, Vince Young's press conference proclamations and various Post Season heartaches.  I've got a clean slate and a team that look in great shape. So if the Eagles win the Vince Lombardi Trophy will I get the same buzz as a lifelong fan?  Clearly I can't answer that - although hopefully I'll be able to in February - but I'm definitely feeling very excited and nervous about the Eagles upcoming campaign.

In fact, I'm most excited about the Week 1 trip to Cleveland.  Sure it's not the biggest, sexiest fixture of the season and on paper it should be a straightforward road win, but I can't wait to discover how I'll react during the game. I'm hoping that I'll be getting excited (no, not like that!), nervous and totally immersed in the game. I'd hate to think that I'll be ambivalent in proceedings and not really that bothered about the outcome, but I'll have to wait until next Sunday to find out!

And how do I think the Eagles will do this year?  Maybe it's due to the lack of scars, but I'm actually quite optimistic. On paper, we've got one of the strongest rosters in the NFL, the Defence looks formidable and there are a number of excellent offensive playmakers in the squad.  I have a few concerns around QB Michael Vick - can he stay fit? Is he accurate enough to be a SuperBowl calibre QB?  But, every team will have some concerns going into the season, so I'm not unduly worried.

Another problem for the Eagles is the difficult schedule that has been handed to them.  I've read a lot of articles and forum posts complaining about this.  Personally, I don't really care what the schedule is - if the Eagles are to win the SuperBowl they will need to beat the best the NFL has to offer.  So why not do it in the Regular Season?  Beating the likes of Baltimore and Atlanta will also hinder their Play Off hopes, which can only be a good thing.

Perhaps the biggest problem the Eagles have every season is that they are in one of the strongest Divisions in the NFL.  The NFC East contains the defending SuperBowl champions, the always strong Dallas Cowboys plus the RGIII enhanced Washington Redskins. That's 6 tricky fixtures and, in an always tight Division, they will go a long way to deciding who makes the Post Season.  I'm sure a lot of Eagles fans approach these games with a sense of dread and foreboding, personally I can't wait!

Having read and watched so much about the likes of Vick, LeSean McCoy, DeSean Jackson etc, it'll be great to finally cheer them on and watch them in live action.  In the past, the Eagles have been criticized for having too many star names, but the way I see it is that they are star names for a reason.  Yes, it can be a challenge getting them to gel, but that's a hell of lot easier than getting a load of journeymen to take your franchise to the next level.

Of course, there are a number of other teams who will be in the mix and I'll be bringing you my full set of predictions in the next few days.  Suffice to say that the likes of New England, Green Bay and Houston will all be serious threats, but I don't see anything that the Eagles will be scared off.  Perhaps I'm being naive, perhaps I'm far too new to this game or perhaps I'm just blinded by excitement - but I'm seriously confident about the Eagles prospects this season. Which, after 20 years supporting Gillingham FC, is a pretty strange feeling!

Next up, I'll be making my predictions for the new season - who will make the Post Season, who will be MVPs and which players will be arrested after an incident at a nightclub?  Then, it's time for the season to begin.  Let's hope my optimism isn't misplaced!



No comments:

Post a Comment