Wednesday 6 June 2012

31 Games in 31 Ways

This seemed like a good idea at the time.  Now, with just over 48 hours to go until Euro 2012 commences, I realise I've set myself a very difficult and time consuming task.  However, it's one I'm committed to completing so I'll be throwing myself head first into it over the next 3 weeks.

Of course, the first problem with writing about "31 Games in 31 Ways" is thinking of 31 different styles/viewpoints to cover.  There are some brilliant football journalists out there, so I don't want to just churn out match report after match report for 3 weeks.  I decided to break it down into a few categories - sensible reporting styles, the games from different viewpoints and just plain bizarre methods.

The "sensible" methods I want to employ are based on the types of reports you read daily.  Minute by minute reports, player ratings, as well as pieces that focus on individual players, one team or even peripheral elements of the match such as the crowd and the TV coverage.
Then I decided to go for a more personal approach for some games.  I'll be in different locations for some games so I wanted to give reports based on watching certain games in a bar or even one game that I'll not be able to watch and have to follow on twitter.  This section will make more sense when I get to the match days.
Finally, I wanted to do something more leftfield. So, I've come up with a few unusual ideas for match analysis.  Some of them are lyrical (a limerick and a haiku), some are in different styles (biased, optimistic etc) and some are just stupid (One word per minute, Teletext report).  In fact, a few of them might make no sense even after you've read the below table!  But all will be come clear as the competition progresses.


Fri 8th JuneWarsawPoland v GreeceBefore, During, After       
Fri 8th JuneWroclawRussia v Czech RepublicA look at ITVs coverage
Sat 9th JuneKharkivNetherlands v DenmarkHaiku!
Sat 9th JuneLvivGermany v Portugal"Down the pub" report
Sun 10th JuneGdanskSpain v Italy"Minute by Minute" style
Sun 10th JunePoznanRep of Ireland v CroatiaCompletely biased (Eire)
Mon 11th JuneDonetskFrance v EnglandFocus on England
Mon 11th JuneKievUkraine v SwedenMBM with no sound
Tue 12th JuneWroclawGreece v Czech RepublicA look at Live Betting MBM 
Tue 12th JuneWarsawPoland v Russia1 word per minute!
Wed 13th JuneLvivDenmark v PortugalTweets 
Wed 13th JuneKharkivNetherlands v GermanyA look at BBCs Coverage
Thu 14th JunePoznanItaly v CroatiaCompletely biased (losing team)
Thu 14th JuneGdanskSpain v Rep of IrelandEire "Down the Pub"
Fri 15th JuneKievUkraine v FranceTeletext style
Fri 15th JuneDonetskEngland v SwedenEngland "Down the Pub"
Sat 16th JuneWroclawCzech Republic v PolandLimerick
Sat 16th JuneWarsawGreece v Russia"Blind" report based on reading other reports!
Sun 17th JuneKharkivPortugal v Netherlands2 Games at once MBM
Sun 17th JuneLvivDenmark v Germany2 Games at once MBM
Mon 18th JuneGdanskCroatia v SpainMBM watching the extended highlights
Mon 18th JunePoznanItaly v Rep of IrelandMindless Optimism 
Tue 19th JuneDonetskEngland v UkraineMindless Pessimism
Tue 19th JuneKievSweden v FranceVague
Thu 21st JuneA - Warsaw1st Group A v 2nd Group BFocus on an individual player
Fri 22nd JuneB - Gdansk1st Group B v 2nd Group AFocus on the crowd!
Sat 23rd JuneC - Donetsk1st Group C v 2nd Group DA look at reactions to the game on twitter
Sun 24th JuneD - Kiev1st Group D v 2nd Group CRef Watch!
Wed 27th JuneDonetskWinner A v Winner CPlayer Ratings and comments
Thu 28th JuneWarsawWinner B v Winner DStriker v Striker - Head to Head analysis
Sun 1st JulyKievFinalA normal match report and tournament review

So I'll be kicking off the competition with a "Before, During and After" analysis of the Poland - Greece.
What does that mean?
At last, ITV have got some decent pundits
Simply that, I'll be writing  3 articles on this match.  A preview beforehand, A half time report and a final verdict.  I'll try and keep it light and throw in some predictions and observations.  All being this will posted on Friday evening, followed by my verdict on ITVs coverage of the Russia v Czech Rep encounter.







1 comment:

  1. I don't envy the workload you have given yourself but I look forward to reading the various styles!

    ReplyDelete