Tuesday 10 July 2012

NFL - Starting All Over Again


It's been a while!
June saw me take a break from the NFL, after all there wasn't much going on and a certain football tournament in Poland and the Ukraine was occupying a lot of my spare time.  But that's been and gone now, and we're just 2 months away from the start of the 2012 NFL season, so it's time to pick up the baton again.  I've got my NFL Gamepass for the season and I'll be reviewing that at a later date, I've started listening to my favourite NFL podcasts again and I've been spending far too much time on NFL websites.




If you've not read this blog before then here's a quick recap of what's been going on.  If you have read this before then apologies for wasting the next few seconds of your life:

I started blogging in December with the aim of finding an NFL team to support.  I worked in reverse and adopted a number of methods to get rid of teams - worst kit, hardest to get to, worst QB etc.  One by one I whittled done my list of potential teams until I was left with my ideal team...The Philadelphia Eagles.


By then the season had finished - long finished as far as the Eagles were concerned, so I decided to compile by list of "30 Things to Do for an NFL Fan in the UK" and crack on with the ones that could be completed in the off season.  As a consequence, I'm now a member of the British Eagles, own some NFL merchandise and have been tweeted by 3 NFL pundits.


Obviously, a lot of my tasks are long term and impossible to complete any time soon (Attend an Eagles game!), so in the meantime I want to encourage more people to give the NFL a try. I started by outlining a few reasons why I love the sport.

Then June came, and with it, a lull in my NFL activity, but now I'm back and will once again try to encourage people to give the NFL a try.  Of course, you can hype up a sport and bang on about it all you like, but if people don't understand like the on-field action then you're screwed.  Therefore, it makes sense for me to try and explain why the on field action is so captivating.

Which means that later this week, I'll be trying to explain how an NFL game works. And to make it a bit harder for myself I'll be doing it in less than 1000 words!
I don't think you need to understand about Nickels and Dimes or know the name of the Cardinals Long snapper to be able to enjoy the NFL.  The geeky stuff can come later, I just want to give an outline of how the game works.  It'd be great if the NFL fans reading this could pass it on to people who aren't into the sport.

Hmm, having said that 1000 words does seem a pretty tricky task!

No comments:

Post a Comment